Records tell us that this building was ‘newly erected’ in 1740, but during building work at No. 67 next door in 1987, the wall of this building was exposed, showing massive oak posts. This timber work does not agree with this date, so possibly old timbers were utilised in the new work.
Briscall W., 1987, Discovering Ashford’s Old Buildings, Ashford, LRB Historical Publications
Date first listed: 04-Jun-1976
- 5344 HIGH STREET (South Side) No 65 TR 0142 NW 1/12II GV
- Early C18. 3 storeys painted brick. Hipped tiled roof with moulded wooden eaves cornice. Stringcourse. 3 sashes with glazing bars missing. Recessed panels beneath all windows. Modern shop front. Rear elevation tile hung with curved tiles to 2nd floor.
Nos 51 to 61 (odd). 61A, 63 to 67 (odd). 67A, 69 to 71 (odd). 75 and the rear part of 75 form a group with all items in The Churchyard.
Listing NGR: TR0100842779