Menu Close

13 Church Yard (Talbot House)

Talbot House

Talbot House is not, as it might appear to be, an 18th-century house as stated in the Department of the Environment’s list. Nor is it entirely brick fronted. The building is timber-framed and the front originally jettied. The jetty has been underbuilt with red brick. As so often in such cases, the upper storey was hung with mathematical tiles, red in colour to match the brickwork below and to complete the illusion of an 18th-century house. The roof is tiled and half-hipped and the roof-space converted into attics, lighted by two hipped dormer windows.

Inside the house there are heavy curved braces to the walls.

Below, there is a surprisingly dry cellar.

The name ‘Talbot’ is from a Victorian tradesman.

Briscall W., 1987, Discovering Ashford’s Old Buildings, Ashford, LRB Historical Publications

List Entry

List entry Number: 1071117 ➚

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Sep-1951

  1. 5344 THE CHURCHYARD (West Side) No 13 (Talbot House) TR 0042 NE 2/46 24.9.51. II GV
  2. C18. 2 storeys and attics red brick. Half-hipped tiled roof with 2 hipped dormers and wooden modillion eaves cornice. 2 sashes with verticals only. Doorcase with pilasters, pediment and 6-panel door, the top 2 panels cut away and glazed.

All the items in the Churchyard form a group, together with Nos 51 to 61 (odd) 61A, 63 to 67 (odd). 67A, 69 to 71 (odd). 75 and the rear part of No 75 High Street.

Listing NGR: TR0097442735